Friday, May 15, 2009

Chapter 4 Part 7

Miguel Blackheart found Tyson in a small garden behind the main hall. His father had ordered the garden's construction when his druidic powers had started developing. Tyson, Miguel knew, occasionally retreated there when something weighed heavily on his mind.
"Tyson," Miguel greeted as he sat on a bench in the shade of a willow, "where have you been? We looked for you all morning."
"I teleported into Allentown this morning, did Morteous not sense it?"

"He probably did, but he too is away. I’ve asked him to travel to Keron with our peace proposal to King Rigel so if he did sense your teleport, he did not deem it important enough to rush back. Actually I think he has gotten used to your unique magical style. I don't think it stands out as much as it used to."
Tyson stuffed some pipe weed into a pipe and lit the bowl. He took a long draw and held it inside for a few moments then he slowly let it out. "And the others?"
"As you said, they have adapted to hide their presence," Miguel reminded him. "You should do so as well. Need I remind you that there are other warlocks in this world, and any of them are capable of locating you by your use of magic. I am surprised it has not already been tried"
"It has," Tyson informed him. "Ultrecht got a warlock named Mestys to locate me and lure me into his trap."

Miguel shook his head. "I don't think I know this warlock. Where did you meet him?"

"Her," Tyson corrected.

"Her? Okay, where did you meet her?"

"At the Archives in Allentown. She found me researching and claimed to know an authority on the subject I was reading about. That’s when she lured me into his trap."

"I would think that you might ask Morteous to ask her to stay out of your business. He’s probably her superior in their order and can probably get her off your back."

Tyson smiled. "That won't be necessary," he said. "I’ve arranged for her to stay out of everyone's business forever."

Miguel was disturbed. "You killed her?"

"She turned me in to my enemy. I had to do some very fast talking to stay alive. Of course I killed her." Tyson was agitated.

"Well, Morteous won't like it. He could’ve controlled her and the killing of a warlock would normally put you on the very top of their enemy list. And there are a lot of warlocks."

Tyson shrugged. "If I’d known I would certainly have consulted him, but I saw it as a personal problem and dealt with it appropriately."

Miguel winked. "I think we’ll keep this action of yours a secret; at least for a while. No sense in getting Morteous angry about something unless it’s necessary. He’ll raise a ruckus when he hears about the woman's death, but as long as you covered your tracks well enough we will survive."

Tyson sneered. "No one saw me come, no one saw me go, and unless they can travel back in time and catch me in the act, no one saw me break her pretty neck. I left no clues."

"That sounds thorough enough," Miguel agreed.

Tyson finished his pipe, and emptied the ashes. "Was there something you wanted?"

"Wanted?" Miguel asked. "Oh, yes! I am getting ready to travel to Hell and I thought you might be interested in joining me."

It was tempting. Miguel always knew where a good party was being held. "No, thank you. I appreciate the offer, and normally I’d accept, but today I think I’ll pass."

"Fine then," Miguel said as he climbed to his feet. "Tiona, the House administrator, will be in charge of the political matters and Kana will be in charge of security if you need them. You have been cleared to roam about on your own recognizance for the most part. The only places you are not authorized to be are locked anyhow so use your spare time as you please. I'll be back either tomorrow or the day after, as will my uncle." Miguel turned to leave. "Until then," he waved and disappeared inside the house.

Tyson watched him go. It appeared that he was now considered a top operative of House Blackheart. He would need that clout in the future. For he knew that sooner or later he was going to have to confront Ultrecht and Armegon. He needed to have a trump card in his hand as well as an ace up his sleeve when that happened. But what?

No comments:

Post a Comment