Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chapter 2 Part 7

When Sam awoke, he found himself exactly where he had fallen. It was near noon, and the hot and smoldering coals told him that the fire had just recently gone out. The charred remains of one of the harpies was in the fire, the dead body of the other lay nearby. Sam checked his shoulder. There was no evidence of any wound at all.

Sam climbed to his feet and drank some water. Then he went back to the berry bush. After a snack he began to gather more wood for the fire. By the time the suns disappeared behind the mountains, he was back at camp and preparing for his last night. He dragged the last harpy's corpse into the ashes. He might as well use it for fuel. He then took a moment to search out the area where the thing in the shadow had been. He managed to find some tracks, but they were not any that he recognized. Whatever the animal was it was very large and heavy.

As darkness fell, Sam wondered how Ultrecht, Armegon, and Tyson were doing. He finished his berries, and drank the last of the water. Of that he was glad, because with a roaring fire going, it was no time before his pants were dry and he would put them on again. If he had to fight any more monsters, at least he would not have to put up with their jokes.

It was again near midnight when Sam sensed a presence. He peered back to the same spot in the shadows where the night before. Sure enough, his visitor had returned.
This time Sam was not so concerned. It had simply watched him last night and had not attacked. Even when he was injured it had not taken advantage of the fact. The tracks had shown that it had entered the circle but it had not approached Sam.

Sam stood and took his staff. Slowly he approached. As he drew to within three meters, the thing moved. It stepped into the light.

Sam staggered back. There before him was some kind of wolf. But it was as big as a horse. Sam drew close to the fire. Most animals feared fire, and Sam certainly hoped this one did as well.

No such luck. The beast walked closer. The stride was casual and not menacing. Sam almost considered it to be an invitation to making friends.

"He won’t harm you," a voice said from beside him.

Sam jumped. Standing next to him was a half elf. Sam, whose senses were superior in many ways had not been able to detect this person's approach.

"Where did you come from," Sam demanded holding his staff up.

"From far away," the half elf said. "I came to talk to you."

"You are the Forester?"

"Some people call me that." the stranger smiled. Sam noted his eyes showed none of the features that everyone else had. They were solid orbs.

"What happened to your eyes?"

"That’s a curse that I received long ago along with a gift."

Sam was puzzled. "A curse and a gift from the same person? Some friend!"

The stranger laughed. "My gift is a healing touch," he explained. "My curse is that I’m doomed to feel the pain and sickness and injury that I see."

"I’m sorry," Sam said sympathetically. Then he asked, "do you know why I’m here?"

"You apparently have been accused of doing something wrong, and either you don’t feel responsible or you don’t feel guilty."


"And you’re supposed to determine my guilt or innocence," Sam added. "How will you tell?"

"I have ways," the stranger said and he pulled a sword from a scabbard across his back. The sword was long and thin and possessed a very sharp point.

Sam again raised his staff. "I warn you I do not wish to fight, but I will."

"I hope that it won’t come to that," the stranger said as he sat cross legged and placed the sword across is lap. "Now tell me your story."

Sam sat on the ground and recounted the events of the night he met Calista.

"Ah," the stranger said quietly. "You have caused pain to another, though it was not intended." The stranger stood and sheathed the sword. "In ignorance you committed a deed that cannot be undone. In inexperience with the laws of the village, you took part in an act and unknowingly committed yourself to matrimony. In innocence, you failed to tell your partner of your physical deformities. These are things that you are guilty of." The stranger sat on the ground next to the fire.

"Yet you alone cannot carry the blame for your partner willingly took part in the deed done. Your partner clearly knew before the fact that you were non-human and failed to pursue the matter. Of those two charges your guilt can be dismissed for it is as much her fault as yours."

The firelight danced across the Forester and the eerie shadows from the stones gave the whole place a mysterious feeling. Sam held his breath. The verdict was coming.
"As for the last charge," the judge said at last, "you must assume the responsibility for your actions. I can sense in your heart that you have accepted this fate and therefore that is what shall be done."

"How did you know all this?" Sam asked.

"Does it matter?” the stranger replied, “suffice it to say that I have the ability to separate fact from fiction. After that the truth is plain."

"What will you do to me?"

"For the moment, nothing." The stranger opened a canteen and took a swallow. He passed it to Sam who also drank only to be surprised. It was snowberry juice. "I'd like to return you to the village to live out your life as the girl's husband, but I’m afraid you’ll only live for about five more years."

That statement hit Sam like a hammer. "Five years?"

The Forester nodded and let a few moments pass by. During that time the news settled well into Sam's mind.

"I can see that you’re not human. Your body has matured at an incredible rate. This I also can see. But your body will soon burn itself out. When it does you’ll begin to deteriorate."

"Are there any options?" Sam asked.

"Yes, in fact there is one. You and the girl meet me here in two days. I know of a place where you two can live and a local druid, who incidentally is lonely for another woman to talk to can help to extend your life. She may be able to extend it to ten or fifteen years."

"Can I bring my uncle and foster father as well?"

"No." The Forester's answer was firm. "The place is secret and you must live in seclusion."

"Then I shall do as you say," Sam agreed. "I hope we will not have to deal with any more harpies though."

"Harpies?"

"Yes, I had to fight two of them last night."

The Forester looked thoughtful then smiled. "Good job! I take it you won?"

"Well, yes, but it was my mother who saved me in the end."

"Oh?" The Forester frowned. "How did she do that?"

"Well her spirit came to my aid when I was losing. I just called to her and she came." Sam shrugged. "My foster father told me she would."

"Well she must have loved you a great deal," the Forester said as he got to his feet and gathered his belongings. "I am sure she was a very lovely and kindly woman."

"I think so," Sam replied reverently. "At least her name was beautiful."

"What was her name?"

"I can't tell you," Sam said worriedly; he did not want to flat out refuse. He explained: "My foster father told me that I must never speak her name unless I was in grave danger."

"Your foster father said that?" The Forester asked amused. "Well you should always do what your guardian asks. He probably has the best intentions in mind for you. What is his name?"

"Armegon."

The Forester froze. Staring at Sam, he mouthed the name. Then he asked, "you mentioned an uncle?"

"Yes," Sam answered.

"What is his name?"

"Ultrecht."

The Forester laughed. "What unusual names," he said. "Then, by all means, bring them."

"Okay, I will. In two days, right?"

"Right," the Forester said happily. "I must be off, but I will leave Mirfak here with you," he indicated the beast. "He will stay with you until morning and help you should you need it."

"I have never seen anything like him," Sam admitted.

"He is a coyodiak," the Forester informed him. "Some people call them Grizzly Wolves or Wolfbears. They are very friendly unless you treat them badly. Then there is no way to stop them from tearing you apart." With that the Forester winked. "Don't worry, with him around I don't think you will have any more visitors tonight."

The Forester walked to the edge of the stone circle. "In two days," he reminded.

Totally confused, Sam agreed. And watched the Forester disappear into the darkness. Sam then looked at the animal. The beast settled down and took on the appearance of sleep. Sam decided to do the same.

By morning the huge creature was alone. He got up and packed his things. Then he made certain that the fire was out. As he inspected the camp. he searched for any sign of the Forester's presence. No scent, or track was to be seen anywhere. Even the tracks of the Coyodiak were gone.

After about an hour, Sam finally gave up searching and waited for the guards to arrive to take him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment