Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chapter 4 Part 23

Morteous and Tyson emerged from the cavern late at night. Fortunately, the larger moon was high in the sky and nearing a full phase so there was plenty of light.

"Allentown, eh?" Morteous thought for a moment. Tyson had informed him of the enemies' plan to travel to the University. "I wish I could do something about your friend in Tycho, but our influence there is very small. Our influence in Allentown is just as small. But the University is on neutral ground. I could speak face to face with your friends there." He faced Tyson. "Do any other of your friends share your views?"


Tyson shook his head. "I seriously doubt it."


"A pity," Morteous said lightly. "Traveling by the desert is an excellent strategy. It complicates things greatly, but I think we can adjust to their plan." He looked up into the moonlit sky. "I think I will even arrange their transportation myself. They have been good at dodging direct attacks. Let us see how good they are at deceptive ones."


Tyson glanced at Morteous with genuine horror. "You're toying with them?"


Morteous laughed. "My brother is not quite ready to act. Until he is I must amuse myself. No?"


Tyson grew stern. "My lord, do not underestimate them."


Morteous stared at Tyson for a long moment. Was Tyson commanding him? "Your concern touches me," Morteous said at last. "Which of your comrades do you advise me beware of most?"


"The halfelf called Armegon, my lord," Tyson answered. "He is a powerful archmage."


"And the others?"


"Ultrecht's spells are the most powerful, but they take time to cast. Avery could withstand your onslaught better than any other. He was a master healer with some magic ability of his own geared toward defense, but as of late he seemed to be getting weaker instead of stronger. The druid Marlena could be a problem as well, but she is heavy with child."


"Any others?"


"An archer with a deadly accurate bow, another monk and a fighter with an enchanted blade."

Morteous smiled at the mention of the fighter. Apparently, Tyson did not think enough of the sword to deem it a major threat. That was good.


Tyson, on the other hand, was enjoying the play thoroughly. He was expertly mixing truths and half-truths just enough to let Morteous infer the wrong conclusions. Also by warning him of Armegon, Tyson was playing to Morteous' ego. The warlock would now welcome a chance to face Armegon. Tyson hoped to be able to watch this fight from a front row seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment