Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Epilogue

Epilogue: Of chimes and stars.

Three weeks passed before they finally found themselves on a quiet hill under a beautiful starry night. Ultrecht set up a small folding rack and laid each chime in its place.
“The passage I have in memory should allow us to appreciate the wonders of the heavens.” He paused, looking up at the stars. “We should be able to view them from a simpler perspective, a childlike and untainted outlook.”
“Well, I’m set. Play it already,” Aremgon said in a voice tinged with excitement.
Ultrecht took out the ivory case containing his strike, and in a clear baritone voice sang as he played.


“Twinkle Twinkle Little Star How I Wonder What you are. ”



Armegon and Avery both stood staring dumbly, their jaws hanging. Grinning ear-to-ear, Ultrecht took a small bow, lifted the rack of chimes, and teleported.

There was a long pause of silence broken only when Avery softly whispered in a sense of profound awe, "Oh, that was good."
"A masterpiece," Armegon agreed. "Scarlet would have been proud."
"I never saw it coming...Hook, line and sinker," Avery chuckled.
"Me, too. You know, I think our boy is beginning to develop a sense of humor.”
"I wonder just how long he's been planning that," Avery posed.
"Surely not the whole thing," Armegon offered. "It was too complex and relied on too many variables."
"I suppose you're right," Avery agreed. “You aren’t planning to kill him are you?”
“Nah, I’ll just let him think I am.”
Avery looked up to the stars, wondering at their majestic beauty. “It was a pretty good one though.”
Armegon was watching the heavens too. “Yeah, lot of set up. Those are usually the best ones.”
"I’d have to say this one puts him in the lead.”
“Yep. It’ll sure be hard to top.”
They both sat in the grass leaning back on their elbows. The quiet night air was comfortable and the view was absolutely breathtaking. After a long while Avery stood. “Well I should be getting home.”
“Yeah me too,” said Armegon as he climbed to his feet.
They both paused and watched as a shooting star flitted by overhead. Eventually Avery said, “You know, sometimes we get too wrapped up in daily life. We should take more time off to enjoy moments like this. I just may have to thank him.”
Armegon only smiled. “Say ‘hi’ to Nikki for me.”
“Certainly. Have a pleasant trip home.”
“Thanks. Good night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment