Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chapter 3 Part 4

They went to the brewery. All along Drew kept looking at Zachary with a strange expression.
Finally Zachary said sharply, “What?”
“Now what’ll you do?” Drew asked as he put the cart away and handed the mule off to one of his workers.
“I have no idea. We need to go back and talk to Sara.”
“Wait a moment,” Drew said and went to his office. He came back out a moment later with a small purse and said, “Here, hang on to this in case someone wants to see the money from the sale of your cart.”
Zachary took the purse and looked inside. “How much are we deciding on?”
“I think there's about forty gold pieces in that purse.”
Zachary winced. “You’re getting a hell of a deal.”
Drew shrugged apologetically. “I sorry, but that’s really all I have to spare. I was telling the truth when I said my wagon had a broken wheel.”
"It’ll do," said Zachary as he pocketed the purse. “Hopefully we’ll trade back in the near future.” He started towards the door. “Oh, by the way, there’s a hidden strongbox on that cart. I want to empty it somewhere safe when we get a chance.”
“Ok. What’s in it?”
“My gold. ”
“Oh.”
When they returned to the Bundled Sheaf, a strange man met them.
“Why, Master Zachary you have guests. Mistress Sara and Captain Krell are awaiting you in the parlor.”
Zachary looked at the stranger and decided to play. “Captain Krell, as in a sea captain?”
The stranger blinked and paused a moment before continuing. “No fool, as in a Captain in the Guard.”
“Oh good, I was afraid that you’d be a bit touched, what with no water hereabouts.”
The man shook his head. “Idiot. Just go to the parlor.”
“Oh, ok. Why didn’t you just say so in the first place?” Zachary held his ‘this guy is stupid, but I’ll be polite anyway’ look until the stranger started fidgeting then left for the parlor.
As he stepped through the door, he could already see that the scene was tense. Sitting on the floor next to Captain Krell was the cask of money the underground had collected.
“Ah, there you are,” said Krell when he walked in, “our newest upstanding citizen.”
Zachary took in the room at a glance. Sara was sitting on the couch across the room, and she was white as a ghost. He realized what the problem must be, so he took up an offended pose. “What in the blazes are you doing with my goods?”
Krell coolly raised one eyebrow. “So it is your money then?”
Looking appalled he replied, “You opened my cask?”
Krell looked just a little taken aback. “Of course, we did. A cask of liquid shouldn’t jingle.”
“Well what in the nine hells are you doin’ muckin’ with stuff that don’t belong to ya anyways?” Zachary demanded.
Krell stood abruptly. “Listen fool. What I choose to look at is up to me.” The captain stopped and forced his voice calm. “Now how about you tell me what a common trader is doing with so much coin.”
Zachary bristled. “And what business is it of yours? It’s my coin.”
Krell whipped his rapier out of its scabbard and pointed it to Zachary’s throat. “It’s my business because I’m making it my business. You are new to our fine city, so allow me to educate you. Hoarding is a crime trader. Now, do you wish to tell me about this or shall I assume that you don’t want to further our economy like a good citizen should?”
Zachary swallowed hard and looked nervously at the rapiers tip. “Uh, ok. It’s all I’ve managed to put together from the sale of my ice boat and over two years of trading.”
Krell smiled coolly. “You’ve traded well. Tell me, what’s in it.”
Oops, he’d been afraid of that question. He took his best guess. “It’s full of assorted coin, some gold, and a few jewelry pieces.” He caught a brief glimpse of Sara’s incredulous look and inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.
Krell lowered the blade, but kept it in hand. “Well then, I trust you would want to make a donation to the cities economy.”
“Ok, sure I’d guess that’d be a ‘right. How much?”
In answer, Krell pulled out a small empty purse and flipped the top of the cask open with his rapier. He tossed the purse to Zachary and said, “Fill it.”
Zachary carefully took a couple of handfuls of assorted coins and filled the purse. He spotted part of a pearl string, but left it.
He held out the purse to Krell, but the captain smiled evilly and said, “Oh no, keep it with my blessing.”
Zachary understood. The bastard was keeping the cask. He affected an expression of sorrow. “May I at least have the pearl string I promised Sara for our betrothal?”
Krell took on a friendly expression, and dipped the string out with the end of his rapier. “Why to be sure. I wouldn’t want to deprive such a wonderful couple of a dowry.” He held the string out to Zachary.
Carefully taking the string, Zachary went over to stand beside Sara. He put his arm around her and looked at Krell. “Ok Captain, you have your answers and my money. Please leave us to our preparations.”
Krell’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “You aren’t very hospitable are you old man?”
“Actually Captain, I’m quite hospitable. I just don’t like overbearing little men who prefer brutishness over manners.”
The captain grinned and bowed with a flourish. “As long as you know who’s in power old man.” He whistled and the stranger from the front room came in. Krell gestured to the cask and the stranger took it.
“Good day to you,” he said, and they both left.
They stood in silence for a minute or so after Krell left, then Drew came in. Zachary motioned the two of them to follow him into the bedroom.
As soon as the door closed Sara rounded on him. “How did you know what was in that cask?” she hissed quietly.
Zachary waved her off. “I didn’t. I guessed.”
She paled. “You guessed! We’d have been killed or drug off had you guessed wrong, and still you guessed!”
“It wasn’t that hard. You told me how hard it was to put together, and Krell mentioned it was full of coin. Besides, what was I going to do; say I didn’t know what was in my own cask?”
She backed down. “Damn. All that work saving that kind of money, gone.” She stopped and looked up. “What was that crap about betrothal?”
Drew interjected. “It seems Baron Roth expects you two to be married.” He gestured to Zachary. “Meet our newest citizen.”
She paled. “Oh, no.”
Zachary looked thoughtful. “Oh, yes. And the Baron wants to be invited.” He paused in thought, and then looked at Drew. “When I walked in here Krell greeted me as ‘citizen’. That means he already knew what happened at the gate.”
Drew looked a bit shook up. “That means one or both of us is being watched.”
“Agreed, but let’s assume it’s all of us. After all he met us here.”
Sara and Drew looked at each other in silent communication. Finally Sara said, “Ok, then Zachary, you’re in with us. When do you want to make our wedding announcement?”
Zachary tossed her the purse Krell had let him fill. “In a few days," he answered. First off take this and go shopping for wedding finery, and wear this everywhere.” He handed her the pearl string.
He motioned both of them close then said softly, “We need to find a safe place to talk.”
Drew whispered back, “Let’s go to my office at the brewery. I can start a new batch today. The noise should hide us from any listening ears.”
They left slowly; chatting and exchanging friendly jibes with the patrons. Sara introduced Zachary to several of her friends and regulars. The rumors of their impending wedding had already made the rounds, so they played along, and finally made their way out of the building.
Zachary leaned over and kissed Sara on the cheek and whispered, “Ok, who followed us out?”
She nuzzled him back and replied in her own whisper, “Our usual spy. His name is Edgar.”
He nodded and took her arm and strolled along as if they had all the time in the world.
At last they reached the brewery. Drew called out to his workers, “Ok boys, the last batch is getting old. Let’s start the next.”
With some grumbling the crew of four began work.
Once inside Drew’s office, Zachary was surprised at the amount of noise four men could make in preparing to create beer. “Won’t your crew get a bit suspicious?”
Drew grinned. “Nah, they know when I need to talk privately. The noise is going to be deafening out there for a while.”
Sara seated herself and said, “Alright Zachary, what’s so important?”
Since they both seemed comfortable that no one could be listening, he sat in the nearest chair and said, “I’m not who you think I am.”
Sara raised one eyebrow sarcastically and replied, “No! Really?”
He ignored her jibe and went on. “I’m here on a mission, but it seems that ta complete my mission I have ta help you out. For both our sakes, I need to get in ta that mercenary camp.”
Drew butted in, “And just how do you think you're gonna do that?”
“That’s my problem. All I need from you two is a good cover story for a night while I’m gone.”
Sara laughed. “That’s easy. You go to bed with me and I say you been there all night.” She sat up and folded her arms across her over ample chest. “Now you tell me how you’re gonna get there and back in one night.”
“I’m gonna sneak. But I have ta leave from your roof. We need people to see us sittin’ up there before and after I leave.”
Drew looked a bit confused, but said, “Well, I could pretend I’m you.”
Zachary shook his head. “No, I’m sure you’re bein’ watched too. You need ta be at home like a good little citizen.”
Sara gazed at him intently. “I don’t know how you think you’re gonna pull this one off, but I have a honeymoon suite with a balcony, would that work?”
Zachary brightened. “Yes! Even better, have one of your older boys hide in the room and when I leave he can pretend ta be me. Oh, and have some bread crumbs sprinkled around the balcony.”
“Bread crumbs?” She frowned. “But that’ll attract those damned crows.”
Grinning from ear to ear Zachary said, “I know.”
Since it was getting close to dinnertime, Sara and Zachary went back to the Inn, while Drew went home to play good citizen. They took a quiet meal and retired to Sara’s room.
She handed him some nightclothes and said, “Don’t ask.” Then she went behind her dressing screen to change into her own. He quickly changed.
When she came out, he stood somewhat nervously trying to look anywhere but at her.
With a coy smile she said quietly, “Yep, your right there’s only the bed.” She reached out and patted his cheek. “What does it matter? We’re gonna end up married or dead anyways.” She went and got into bed.
With a sinking feeling he got in with her, and she put out the light. He heard her whisper, “I hope this plan of yours works.” She rolled over and soon drifted off to sleep.
“So do I,” he said to himself.
It was a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment