Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chapter 3 Part 1

Part Three: A city in darkness

Now that they had the finished the replacement chime, it was time to collect the ones held by the dragon. It took some convincing, but Ultrecht finally persuaded the others to let him try negotiating with the dragon by himself, and then if the beast was going to be obstinate, they could use force.
He really did want to try it alone first. Armegon was easy going to a point, but an ego conflict between the two would only start a fight, and Avery would just simply not tolerate the evil antics of a red dragon.
His research had revealed that the dragon’s name was Zhithritaxx, and that it had at one time resided near the town of Sidmuur about a week’s journey west of the Orkon Mountains. Since it was possible that the dragon controlled the town, Ultrecht thought scouting things out under a low profile might be a good idea. To that end he decided to purchase a mule and cart, and an assortment of trade goods…

“But Master Ultrecht,” said the cartwright, “Why would a master mage need a hidden strongbox? What sort of brigands would even think of attacking a mage?”
Ultrecht sighed inwardly. Why did he always seem to pick the most argumentative tradesmen possible? He looked the man over briefly and decided to go with the high and mighty act. “Do you really think I would need to travel in a cart?” He gave the man a moment to blanche appropriately. “I have need of a cart for the use of my associates and apprentices. To that end, since they will often travel with my gold, I want a hidden lock box installed in the cart. Can you build it, or do I need to take my business elsewhere?”
The cartwright’s demeanor changed abruptly. “Oh but of course I can build it. In fact I can have it ready in just a few days, since I have a cart already in progress.”
Ultrecht smiled thinly, “Show me the plans first.”
“Certainly, please have a seat and enjoy some wine.” The cartwright snapped his fingers at one of his boys, who went to get some wine. “I’ll be right back.”
As Ultrecht sipped his wine, the cartwright worked at some drawings. Every now and then he’d sneak an uneasy glance at the mage. He’d heard rumors that this mage had destroyed a smithy, and if the man was so powerful that the mages council didn’t do anything about it, then he definitely did not want to upset him.
It only took about an hour to agree on plans and a price. Afterward Ultrecht did some shopping. He bought some sturdy, but ordinary traveling clothes, and a good mule.
When he returned to his apartments he started building a mannequin. He took care to make it look as much like himself as possible, then he began drawing runes on its chest. Finally he plucked a few hairs from his head and intertwined them with the mannequin’s hair. He looked over his handy work, checking for any flaws then put it in a closet.
Three days later, his cart was loaded and ready to go. He stood in his apartments talking with Brian, an apprentice to one of his colleagues. Brian was a capable young man and often acted as Ultrecht's servant. “Now, repeat my instructions.”
“Yes sir. I’m to let those who have need know that I’m taking a vacation in Suran to visit relatives while you’re off doing research in Tycho. I’ll leave in your cart and drive it out of the city to the cabin you told me about, where you’ll meet me. After which you’ll take your cart and I’ll leave on vacation.”
“Very good. I must say I appreciate you taking my cart out for me. I’m going to be very busy today, and it’ll be nice not to have to contend with the traffic in and out of the city,” Ultrecht said as he took out a purse of coins.
“No trouble at all sir. In fact I feel it to be such a small favor in return for such a fine vacation. I haven’t seen my sister's family in nearly seven years.”
“Then it’s definitely time you made the trip.” Handing the purse to Brian, Ultrecht continued, “you’ve been a model of efficiency and good service. It was a pleasure to clear it with your master. Consider this as your bonus. Enjoy your family time.”
Brian took the purse and bowed slightly. “Thank you sir. It's been an honor to work for you.”
Ultrecht ushered him out. “Thank you. And take some time for enjoyment, I should be gone for several months.”
With a grateful smile Brian left.
Ultrecht spent the next day arranging his affairs for a long absence. Then in the afternoon he took his mannequin out of the closet and carefully dressed it in his clothes. He placed all of the magical devices he normally carried onto the mannequin as if he were wearing them. After the mannequin was completely outfitted he began casting spells designed to replace anything he was wearing with what was on the mannequin. Once he was finished the spells on the mannequin, he cast a final binding spell that would activate the transfer with but a single mental command.
Satisfied, he dressed in his traveling clothes and teleported to meet with Brian. Soon Ultrecht was quietly and unobtrusively headed west, while Brian went east.

No comments:

Post a Comment