Friday, December 5, 2008

Chapter 3 Part 10

Morteous Blackheart sat silently in the private chambers of his brother. He had been briefed by his nephew on the ambush results. But he had his reservations about their accuracy. For just recently he had again sensed a healing effort of alien magical nature reminiscent to what he had felt before. If the general's report that they had killed the healer was true, then that indicated that either there was more than one healer in the group, which presented a flaw in their intelligence gathering network, or that the new servant, Tyson, was lying about who had been slain.

Morteous looked at the map of the known world on his brother's wall. He knew where the Well of Time was located. This was a secret he had kept to himself, even from his nephew. His brother and Set were aware that he knew its location, but they themselves did not know where it was. Morteous was almost certain that his father knew its location, but his father rarely spoke to him, as he did to his brother.

Serpent Blackheart entered the room and disturbed Morteous from his train of thought. The tyrannical demigod lay his sword and staff upon the altar of his patron, Set. He performed a quick ritual that consisted of coating the blade with blood from a bowl to one side of the altar. When he was done, he seated himself at his desk.

"So, you think my new servant may be lying," he asked Morteous.

"I do not know, but it is a possibility, and it wouldn't be the first time ambition has turned a slave against his master, and one who turns his coat so readily certainly warrants suspicion."

"Then, perhaps when I have used him for my purposes, I may kill him."

"That may be too late."

Serpent turned his back to his brother and stared out the window over the city. "What would you suggest?"

"My wish is only to advise and inform you," Morteous dodged the question.

The big man turned and walked over to a table and picked up a piece of fruit. "I will heed your advice, brother of mine. I will watch for his treachery with earnest. As for killing him, no, I think his possible value is too great an asset to discard." He retrieved Reaper from the altar, "I am weary of secrecy and peace," he commented. "This blade thirsts for blood and souls."

Morteous watched his brother peel the fruit with the edge of the sword. "I must go," he said standing. "There is research I must do about the Oracle. I do not think they will make it there, but if they do, it could mean much more than any of us realize."

"Bah," Serpent spat. "We have ruled this land for three generations." He shook Reaper towards the heavens. "The power of this sword is unmatched."

"Are you certain?"

Serpent narrowed his eyes and looked at his half-brother. "You well know the prophesy of this sword. 'No weapon made by god nor mortal can defeat Reaper.'"

"You're right, of course," Morteous said in a apologetic tone. Morteous feared his brother at times like this. With the Sword of Doom in his hand, Serpent Blackheart appeared ten feet tall.

"There is no doubt," Serpent raved in a half crazed ego trip. "I am supreme among mortals. Soon, I will make the gods bow at my feet as they do to my father."

It was about this time when Miguel entered the room. "And all the world will worship you, father."

"Ahh, Miguel, my joy. Come sit with us."

"I cannot, father, for my services are needed elsewhere. I just came by to inform you and Uncle Morteous that our spies have located our enemies again. They have reached the Twin Cities."

No comments:

Post a Comment